Jeff Pope

Executive Director

Ways to Connect

Kieth Weller / USDA Agricultural Research Service

Cranberries are a Thanksgiving tradition, that are only grown in a few states, using some interesting production methods.

Jeff Vangua / U.S.D.A. NRCS

A common practice in confined livestock operations, is to feed low levels of antibiotics to improve rate of gain and to keep them healthy.  Recently, the World Health Organization has called for farmers to stop this practice because of the possible link to an increase in antibiotic resistant organisms that can make treatment for many human diseases more difficult.

Jeff Vangua / U.S.D.A. NRCS

Negotiations are underway in Congress on the 2018 Farm Bill.  However, the title, "Farm Bill" is somewhat of a misnomer, because only about 20% of the funding goes to agricultural programs, while the remaining 80% funds non-farm nutrition programs. 

Another misconception is that small family farms are major beneficiaries of the various farm programs.  The reality is that although small farms make up over 80% of the total farms and ranches in the U.S. their operators got only about 22% of the total farm program payments in 2015.

Calf Prices Improved In 2017

Nov 2, 2017
Ron Nichols / NRCS

Cattle producers are seeing more favorable prices for their weaned calves this year compared to 2016.

Agricultural Research Service U.S.D.A. / Scott Bauer

There are significant investments made to develop varieties of GMO corn that have commercially valuable traits, such as high yield, and herbicide and drought resistance...Traits that are compatible with large scale production methods.  However, there is very little investment available to produce varieties of corn for small farmers in developing countries.